The federal government has set forth certain regulations which require the manufacturers of cooling and heating systems to place the necessary labels of each unit with the corresponding rating of energy efficiency. This is going to assist consumers to make a properly educated decision when they are stacking different HVAC systems against each other.
When you think of how overly saturated the market really is, this might truly seem like a great idea. With this in mind, being able to read through these ratings is obviously quite important. Here are a few things that you might want to consider when it comes to interpreting them.

HSPF

This is the Heat Seasonal Performance Factor. It reflects the energy which is being consumed in watt-hours. This is divided by the seasonal output of heat which is expressed in BTUs – British Thermal Units. Only those heat pumps which are manufactured before 2005 should have a HSPF rating of less than 7.7. The maximum should be 10.

AFUE

This is the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency rating is used in order to effectively measure the overall efficiency of gas and oil furnaces and is usually expressed in whole percentages. For instance, if your furnace has 80% AFUE rating it would utilize four-fifths of the fuel which is available to it. The remaining 20% is going to be vented outdoors throughout the process of heat exchange. This is something that you can take into account. You should rely on units which have AFUE ratings of as much as 98.7%.

SEER

Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating is a percentage which is constantly used for different air conditioners. You need to have a SEER rating of at least 13 as of January 20016. Newer models on the market have a SEER rating of at least 20 and even more than that. You might want to discuss it with your HVAC provider, as they are aware of the requirements and latest in the HVAC industry.
As you can see, there are quite a lot of different things that you would have to account for and take into very serious consideration. With this in mind, it is quite important to make sure that you pay close attention as these ratings would have a detrimental impact on the overall efficiency of your machine. This could be the difference between a fully functional unit and one which is not nearly as efficient. This is also going to have a serious impact on your end-of-the-month energy bill.
With this in mind, it is important to make sure that you consult a professional when purchasing your AC or HVAC system and let him tell you what the optimal ratings that you can take advantage of for your particular home – this is the best approach.It is important that your HVAC is optimized for higher energy saving requirements, as that will help you save more in the long run.